- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (28 oz each) whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and their juice to the pot. Use a wooden spoon to break up the tomatoes into smaller pieces.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let it cook for about 10 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened and the flavors have melded together.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. Alternatively, transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth, then return to the pot.
- Stir in the heavy cream and chopped fresh basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the soup simmer for another 5 minutes to allow the flavors to fully come together.
- Serve hot, garnished with additional chopped fresh basil if desired.
Enjoy the delicious and comforting flavors of this creamy tomato basil soup on a chilly day!
One of the great things about this recipe is that it can easily be adapted to suit your taste preferences. For example, if you prefer a chunkier soup, you can skip blending the soup and simply stir in the cream and basil at the end. Or if you want to add some extra depth of flavor, you can throw in some diced carrots, celery, or red pepper along with the onion and garlic.
Creamy tomato basil soup is also a versatile dish that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with other foods. Some popular accompaniments include grilled cheese sandwiches, garlic bread, or a simple green salad.
Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy lunch or a comforting dinner, this creamy tomato basil soup is sure to hit the spot. Give it a try and savor the delicious flavors of this classic dish!